Fire & Explosion: In the News
Mulvane explosion injures two men
July 9: A GoFundMe page to help cover medical costs for two men injured in a propane gas explosion south of Mulvane, KS, identify the men as “father and son-in-law team” Rick McPhail and Robert Anglin.
The page says the men were working on a home in the 1200 block of N. Geuda Springs Road, south of Mulvane in Sumner County, when the explosion happened. Fire officials say a worker turned on a breaker in the basement, causing a spark to ignite propane that had built up in the basement.
McPhail was thrown from the home’s second floor, the page says, and landed in the rubble, breaking a leg and both feet. “(Anglin), who had been in the basement, was fully engulfed in flames,” the page says. “He managed to pull himself out of the active fire before he collapsed next to Rick on the ground.”
McPhail should recover after operations to his leg and feet. The page says Anglin is comatose with second and third-degree burns to more than 80 percent of his body.