Elliot Olsen has more than 20 years’ experience representing people harmed by Listeria, and he has regained millions of dollars in compensation for those clients. If you or a family member has become sick after eating Member’s Mark meatballs, please call 612-337-6126, or complete the following:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced today that Member’s Mark meatballs have been recalled because they could be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The USDA has classified this action as a Class 1 recall, meaning that there is a reasonable probability that eating the affected products “will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.” The recall, which affects nearly 3,500 pounds of meathballs, was enacted by the producer, Rich Products Corporation of Vineland, NJ.
Listeria monocytogenes – more commonly known as simply Listeria – is a foodborne pathogen that causes listeriosis, which primarily affects adults but can have serious complications (see below).
Member’s Mark meatballs sold in Sam’s Club
The USDA said packages of the ready-to-eat frozen meatballs, which are sold in Sam’s Club stores across the United States, are labelled “Best if used by 17 DEC 2018,” and have the lot code 15507351.
The recalled products were shipped in 36-pound cases containing six 6-pound bags of “Member’s Mark Casa DI BERTACCHI ITALIAN STYLE BEEF MEATBALLS.” The items were shipped to stores in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Listeriosis symptoms, complications
According to the USDA, listeriosis can cause symptoms such as:
- muscle aches
- stiff neck
- loss of balance
- convulsions that are occasionally preceded by gastrointestinal symptoms, such as diarrhea.
Listeriosis can produce serious complications when the Listeria bacteria spread beyond the gastrointestinal tract. In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, premature delivery, stillbirths, or life-threatening infection of the baby. In addition, serious and occasionally fatal infections can occur in older adults and people with compromised immune systems.
People in higher-risk categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months after eating contaminated food should inform their health-care provider immediately.