Elliot Olsen has been representing people gravely harmed by negligence or defective products for more than three decades. He has secured multimillion dollar recoveries for clients in foodborne illness, Legionnaires’ disease, medical malpractice, product liability and motor vehicle accidents. He is one of the few attorneys in the country who has tried cases to verdict in catastrophic injury cases in the context of both foodborne illness and medical malpractice.
With more than 50 jury trials, Elliot is a veteran of the courtroom. He is a Fellow in the American Board of Trial Advocates, selected by his peers as a leading trial attorney. He is also a Certified Civil Trial Specialist, certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association. Elliot is skilled in jury selection. He thrives with the unscripted conversations needed to find the best jurors for each case. He is skilled at telling his client’s stories.
“My clients come to me in times of great need. I find it extremely fulfilling to help them through the stress, anxiety, and uncertainty that accompany serious injuries. I take comfort in knowing that my clients can find greater peace of mind as we work through a broad range of issues. My methods are thorough, and my tactics are aggressive and tough but fair.”
Deeply committed to his clients, Elliot recognizes the great privilege he has been given when entrusted with their future. His success is based on his ability to connect with his clients and make them feel that their story is being heard. He is determined that his clients never feel as though they are being left behind.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $4.5 million for a young woman with a severe kidney injury from consuming contaminated meat. The multimillion-dollar settlement helped pay for his client’s significant medical costs, in addition to alleviating her concerns about future earnings.
- $230,000 for a young boy who sustained a debilitating kidney injury resulting from contact with contaminated animals at a petting zoo.
- $500,000 for an elderly woman who sustained debilitating kidney and lung injuries resulting from contact with contaminated animals at a petting zoo.
- Millions of dollars for children with kidney injuries sustained from consuming contaminated food.
- $565,000 for a victim with severe injuries from consuming contaminated raw oysters.
- In excess of $2 million for victims of a Listeria outbreak caused by the consumption of tainted cantaloupe.
- In excess of $500,000 for victims of sexual abuse at the hands of their therapists.
- $1.2 million for a woman rendered quadriplegic when her vehicle struck a cow that had strayed onto the roadway.
- $850,000 for the family of an elderly woman killed by the negligence of a grocery-store chain.
- $800,000 for the family of a woman who died after the negligent administration of anesthesia.
- $775,000 for the family of a man who died after developing an infection during surgery.
- $925,000 for the victims of administration of bacteria-tainted injections.
Washington University in St. Louis, J.D.
Carleton College, B.A.
Achievements, Awards & Involvement
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist; certified by Minnesota State Bar Association
- Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Selected as a Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News & World Report
- Selected as a Super Lawyer for more than 20 contiguous years
- National speaker on foodborne illness in New York, Texas, Arizona, California, Washington, and Puerto Rico
- Executive Committee Member, Minnesota Association for Justice – 2012 to present
Licenses, Membership & Certifications
Fellow, American Board of Trial Advocates
Licensed to practice in Minnesota state courts
Licensed to practice in Iowa state courts
Licensed to practice in multiple federal courts
Minnesota Bar Association
Hennepin County Bar Association
Minnesota Association for Justice
Personal & Family Life
Elliot is married to Lea B. Olsen, a well-known sports broadcaster and speaker. They have two teenagers. When not working, Elliot enjoys travel (mostly to his son’s baseball tournaments), trying new restaurants, running, golf, and other sports. Fun fact: He has completed an Iron Man race!