John Dornik has been representing seriously injured people for more than 25 years. His practice areas include motor vehicle crashes, wrongful death, aviation, medical malpractice, and product liability. He has secured several multimillion dollar recoveries on behalf of his clients.
John is particularly gifted at telling his client’s story with compassion and empathy, in a language that connects with jurors. His successes are a result of his sincere interest in solving his client’s problems, and his commitment to communicating the facts and the law accurately, with integrity and compassion.
“Representing injury victims at their greatest time of need, and helping them receive compensation for their medical bills, wage loss, and their loss of the enjoyment of life, is the greatest honor and privilege I have ever known.”
John recognizes that his clients need both an advocate and a counselor in the litigation process, which can be difficult and emotional. His professionalism and experience are invaluable as he leads his clients through this process. As a Certified Civil Trial Specialist, certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association, John has decades of experience in courtroom litigation.
Verdicts & Settlements
- $3.5 million for a motorcyclist who was struck by a commercial carrier resulting in the loss of one of the young man’s legs. The millions John recovered for his client helped pay for significant medical costs, as well as helped alleviate the concern about future earning capacity.
- $2.1 million for a young boy whose meningitis was misdiagnosed, resulting in injuries that will limit him forever. The recovery obtained by John, which came after a month-long trial, will compensate the boy for a future loss of enjoyment of life.
- $7 million for a family involved in an aviation incident in which one family member died and two others were injured. The case was resolved after a prolonged litigation process.
- $4.5 million for the family of a man killed after the plane he was piloting crashed. John discovered that a faulty part in the engine was responsible for the accident. As a result of this product liability/wrongful death claim, John was able to secure a significant settlement for the loss of support and relationship for the family.
- University of Minnesota, J.D. (cum laude)
- St. Mary’s College, B.A. (magna cum laude)
Achievements, Awards & Involvement
- Professor at the University of Minnesota Law School teaching Product Liability Law
- Selected as the Best Lawyers in America for multiple years: Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs and Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Selected as the Best Lawyers Minneapolis Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs “Lawyer of the Year”
- Selected as Lawyer of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer magazine multiple years
- Selected as a Super Lawyer every year for over 20 years
- President, Hennepin County Bar Association, (2003-2004)
- House of Delegates, American Bar Association (1995-1999, 2008-2014)
- Board of Governors, Minnesota State Bar Association (1994-1996, 2003-2010)
- Chair, General Policy Committee, Minnesota State Bar Association (2015-present)
- Chair, Legislative Committee, Minnesota State Bar Association (2004-2008)
- Chair, New Lawyers’ Section, Minnesota State Bar Association (1993-1994)
Licenses, Membership & Certifications
- Certified Civil Trial Specialist; certified by Minnesota State Bar Association
- Licensed to practice in Minnesota state and federal courts
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Minnesota Association for Justice
Personal & Family Life
Outside of the office, John enjoys reading, running, sports and fishing.